You may have heard that art is a great form of therapy, but did you know you can also use it as a way to manage stressful and anxious feelings?
Art jamming is the process of creating an artwork based on a prompt. The prompts can be used as starting points for any type of artwork – painting, drawing, sculpture, performance art…anything! Art jamming in Singapore can be done individually or in teams. It’s good to work with others as it can be a great way to make new friends, learn new techniques from other artists, and also gives you the chance to take some time out of your day to relax.
Why should you do art jamming?
- It’s a fun and creative way to explore your creativity
- You’ll make connections between things that you never have before
- It builds confidence and helps you feel more connected to people
- You might also learn something new from other artists. And it’s a great way to de-stress!
How does it work?
Art jamming can be done individually or in teams. The prompts give you a starting point for the artwork that you create, so there’s no right or wrong way of creating your artwork. You can work on your artwork at any time that is convenient for you! Just upload your art to the wiki page for the class you are taking, and let your instructor know that it’s there. If you need help getting started, here is a description of how I do art jamming in Singapore:
1. Start brainstorming
I like to put my supplies in front of me and start brainstorming what I might want to create. I’ll draw inspiration from the prompts, any current events or news that I’ve heard recently, or even something a friend has told me about. I might create a mind map to help ideate how I want to express what my initial thoughts are.
2. Sketch out your idea!
If you’re working with others in a team, here’s where you might do some sketching together, so you all have a rough idea of what each other is creating. Or you could work individually on this step as well. It’s totally up to you!
3. Create your artwork
I like to use “mindful” techniques to create my artwork. For example, I might choose to focus on one line at a time when drawing. I like the idea of having 100% attention to each aspect of what you are creating. It can help with your creativity and fine motor skills.
5. Share your artwork!
You’ll have a chance to share your artwork either in the chat room or in a gallery space. Be sure to show your instructor, so they know you are participating!
6. Reflect on what you created!
After you share your artwork, take some time to reflect on it and process how it makes you feel. Art jamming in Singapore can help with dealing with anxiety and other stressors in your life!
Here are some prompts to help you manage your anxiety and stress through Art jamming:
1) Write down a situation that makes you feel anxious. Try to pinpoint the actual cause of this feeling, and what it is specifically about that situation. Does it happen before something specific, or during?
2) Create an artwork depicting this emotion. What colors would you use? How big would it be? Where would it be placed on the page/canvas/sculpture etc.? How might the art jammer interact with this artwork?
3) If there’s anyone in your life who makes you feel anxious or stressed, create an artwork depicting them.
4) Now that you’re aware of what makes you feel anxious, answer this question: How can I take care of myself and not let others get to me?
5) If there’s anyone who doesn’t want you to have the things in your life that make you happy, create an artwork depicting them.
6) Create an artwork showing yourself taking care of your mental health. What colors would you use? How big would it be? Where would it be placed on the page/canvas/sculpture etc.? How might the art jammer interact with this artwork?
7) Imagine what advice someone ready to help you with your anxiety and stress would give you. What words of wisdom would they share?
If you’re struggling with anxiety or stress, I hope that this article, “How to manage anxiety and stress through art jamming in Singapore,” has helped you find a way to take care of yourself. Remember that there are many ways for you to do this, so don’t be afraid to try new things. Keep challenging yourself by finding new hobbies and activities that make you happy.